Sunday 16 September 2012

A Midsummer Nene Dream


Okay, we’re a bit past midsummer, but this weekend just gone had to be one of the loveliest in terms of weather – it was a scorcher! And it works nicely as a post title :-) I couldn’t have picked a better weekend to take the Dagger on my first kayaking camping trip. Destination? The River Nene in Northamptonshire.

The River Nene is the tenth longest river in the United Kingdom and rises from three sources, all in Northamptonshire. It is navigable for 88 miles (142km) from Northampton to The Wash. The Nene runs through four counties in total, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk. Depending on where you live also depends on how you pronounce its name which includes variations such as ‘Neen’, ‘Nyn’ and ‘Nen’ – confusing. The river gave its name to the former Nene College (now Northampton University) and to the Rolls Royce Nene Turbojet engine – Rolls Royce practice being to name their gas-turbine designs after British rivers. Coincidentally, or not, Sir Henry Royce was born in Alwalton, a village by the Nene near Peterborough.

Dawn was going away with the girls for a spa weekend to celebrate Gill's 60th birthday, so I thought I would make the most of the weather forecast and the spare weekend. Friends Keith and Nina dropped me and the Dagger (thanks both) at the Nine Arched Bridge in Thrapston at about 9.30 on Saturday morning and already the sun was warming up nicely. By the time I got my camping gear secure on the back of the Dagger and eventually launched, it was already scorching the back of my neck. Here are some views from day one en-route to my overnight camp at Oundle.

















It really was a beautiful day's paddle as you can see, which culminated in an overnight camp near Oundle where I pitched my tent next to some pigs! Actually, they were quite good company, very little smell and only an hour or so of snoring - I don't think I kept the pigs awake though! :-)

Sunday morning saw me rise early and after a camp cooked feast of sausage and baked beans, I launched in the warm morning sun at about 9am. Again, it was a lovely day and a beautifully scenic paddle as I headed towards Fotheringhay - where Dawn was due to pick me up in the evening. Here are a few snaps of the day:


















Fotheringhay, my end destination, was particularly interesting. Fotheringhay Castle, which sadly is only a grassy mound and a small section of surviving masonry, was the birthplace of King Richard III as well as the place where Mary - Queen of Scots had her head chopped off. It's a beautiful spot as you can see, made even more lovely with the sight of four Red Kites circling around the church spire.

The Dagger performed really well. It's not dissimilar to the Drama Queen statistically, although it is a touch more 'rocky' having a slightly more rounded hull. This isn't a problem though and you certainly don't feel that it's going to tip over. The Dagger comes with a very comfortable seat pad and padded seat backrest which made the weekend paddling comfortable and easy on the back, the footrests are great and easy to adjust, both bow and stern decks come with deck rigging/bungee (although the stern deck bungee was just too tight to accommodate my 40ltr dry bag, so I cut it off and replaced it prior to leaving) which allows for plenty of on-deck storage - the boat did not feel at all unstable with 40 litres of camping equipment tied to the stern deck and there's also plenty of room for other equipment (I'd estimate about 30ltrs) behind the seat on either side of the ethafoam flotation. All in all, I reckon it's a great expedition boat for shorter, flatwater trips and I would quite happily take the Dagger away for a week, confident that it could cope with the gear. If I learnt anything on the trip, it's that I need to get myself a kayak trolley for portaging. Although I coped okay, and fortunately for me most of the portages were grassy so allowed me to drag the Dagger, the boat was heavy with all the camping gear and fresh water and my arms were aching  after completing half a dozen or more portages each day. But, there you go, you live and learn. I had a great weekend and can't wait to go and try somewhere else - I'll keep you posted.


If you'd like more information on the trip - route, mapping, campsite location (even wild camp locations which I made a note of en-route) etc, etc, please leave a comment and I'll get in  touch.

13 comments:

  1. Great write up, Russ - thanks. I like the idea of strapping your kit to the back of the kayak - I might give it a go if it allows me to take more stuff with me!

    I'm looking for a trip to do on the Nene this year and would love to know of any wild camp (ordinary camp?) suggestions.

    Thanks

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin

      Glad you liked the write up of the Nene weekend. I took 2 days to paddle the stretch between Thrapston and Fotheringhay, although to be honest it wasn't particularly demanding and with hindsight I'd have gone further. That said, I came across a party of people who had hired Canadian style canoes and they were doing the same trip and they thought it was more than enough - so I guess it depends on ability, type of craft etc. That aside, it was a lovely weekend (the beautiful weather helped of course) and I plan to repeat myself in 2013.

      I camped at a 'proper' site - at the time of planning I had never wild camped and to be honest was a bit nervous about doing so - now that I've paddled the stretch I'd be reasonably happy to do so. I camped near Oundle at a site called Indigo Camping - they are a company linked to Canoe2 who hire out the Canadian canoes and they erect big bell tents for their punters to sleep in and provide bbq's, fire pits etc - all very nice. For a tenner they let me put my own tent up and gave me use of a fresh water tap and a portable loo - all very civilised! As you can see from the photo's, I camped well away from the organised camp and slept with the pigs. A tenner seemed a bit steep (I do a lot of camping when doing my other hobby - walking and most sites average out at about £7) but it is nice to have a semi-proper loo and to be able to go to sleep safe in the knowledge that no-one is going to wake you up to move you on.

      As for wild camping sites, the most obvious one is just downstream of Oundle, but about 100 yards upstream of Ashton Lock. There is a rickety, falling down landing stage on the right as you approach Ashton Lock and that is where you need to drag your kayak out and camp - I have noted other paddlers mention it on the forums too and it seems tat no-one bothers you there, so I would recommend that. If you Google Map (satellite view) Ashton Lock, you'll see the remains of the landing stage on the right at the end of a narrow strip of land leading to a small road just before you reach the lock itself. But there really are loads of places where I could have pitched up - I had a number of stops along the way and dragged the kayak out of the water - I could easily have pitched a tent unnoticed at many of them - when you do it yourself you'll see what I mean.

      As for tying my gear to the kayak, if you have a look at some of my other posts I have listed all the stuff I did to improve my kayaks and all the gear I bought too.

      If there's anything else I can help you with, just drop me a line.

      Cheers
      Russ

      Delete
  2. Are you able to recall where you thought it would be good to stop for either lunch/rest or an overnight rest?

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy
      Thanks for looking at the blog - sorry if you see a couple of replies there's obviously a problem with blogger and every time I reply and press publish it disappears!

      With regard to overnight stops, please see my reply to Martin above - I've listed wild and paid sites that were along the stretch I paddled. As for rest stops for lunch etc - there are literally loads every few hundred yards which are suitable - just pick one you like the look of and pull your kayak in!

      Delete
  3. A search for a Dagger Fiesta brought me to your site , having recently taken up Kayaking this is just the sort of trip that appeals to me , I thought it a very good and practical read , look froward to reading more of your adventures.
    Now to read more of how you modified your Kayak etc:
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian

      Thanks for the positive comments - hope you're finding the blog entertaining and a little bit useful. I've been a bit slow in adding fresh stuff of late, but now the weather's warming up I'll be back in the kayak and blogging.

      Cheers
      Russ

      Delete
  4. Currently very tempted to buy the dagger fiesta. Difficult to find user reviews on the Internet though. For touring and camping trips, I just wondered how it performs in a straight line as it has no drop down skeg.

    Thanks

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danny

      Absolutely right no drop down skeg. I'm really no expert, but for the type of kayaking I tend to do - fairly slow moving rivers, lakes, canals etc - the dagger is perfect, as is the Kiwi in fairness. These boats aren't particularly quick, but they are very, very stable and would suit a beginner or someone - like me - who wants to load up for weekend trips and not worry about tipping it! Paddling in a straight line in the Dagger is all about your paddling stroke in my experience and it wont take too long to perfect it. With a little bit of practice you'll find that they stay beautifully straight. Now if you want an ultra fast boat capable of really long expeditions, then maybe you ought to look at longer boats (the Dagger is only just over 9ft) with built in skegs, but straight lining on flat water is more about your stroke. Hope that helps.

      Russ

      Delete
  5. Yeah that does help thank you. Think I will go for it. Someone is selling a 3rd hand dagger fiesta (only about a year old he said) so although it's had two owners it's in very good condition. It has a paddle, a spray deck and two small storage cylinders to go behind the back rest. It's up for £200. I'd just need a jacket then. I live in Norfolk so plenty of broads. I love your pictures and would have to do that route at some point.

    Thanks very much

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Russ,

      We are looking to get a couple of the 2014 Fiesta's same yak different colour, how much room is there inside the yak, is there plenty of room with your legs or do you have to sit with knees up.
      Like someone else said not many user reviews about this kayak, but for the money its a great way to start, cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  6. Scotty - apologies for the delay in replying, I've done so little kayaking and far too much hill walking of late, so the threemenonawalk blog has taken more of my efforts. If I'm too late to be of any help I'm sorry, but I'm 5ft 9 and there is plenty of room to get my legs straightened in the Fiesta particularly with the adjustable foot pegs. For the money I think it's a great starter kayak for use on slow running rivers, lakes etc and as you can see from the post, it's got enough room to carry kit for a long weekend at least.

    Apologies again for,not replying sooner.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading this as I'm just about to start Kayaking...and on the River Nene. Would love to receive your details of the trip. I have a Zpro Tango TA200 and there will only be me in it so lots of room. I won't have anyone to pick me up so would it be better to do upstream and downstream on the return. Thanks

    ReplyDelete