Wednesday 8 August 2012

The Maiden Voyage of the 'Drama Queen'

The Drama Queen?

Got a certain ring to it hasn't it? Okay maybe not. But anyway - I was racking my brains trying to think of an appropriate name for the kayak (I couldn't just keep referring to it as 'the kayak' - that sounds so impersonal) and I was reminded of the famous Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn movie, 'The African Queen', in which a gin-swilling riverboat captain (Humph) is persuaded by a straight-laced missionary (Kath) to use his boat (The African Queen) to attack an enemy warship. Take a look............






......'ain't she a beauty? The boat, not Katherine! Although clearly she was too.

So anyway, there I was thinking about the African Queen and all of a sudden it hit me! (that'll teach me to daydream during a cricket match!). Those who know me know that one of my hobbies is amateur drama - I'm an active member of Wycliffe Drama Group in Lutterworth, Leicestershire and so it seemed perfect - the Drama Queen was born - or rather re-born. Anyway, I like it.

So, back to the maiden voyage.

I'd been trawling the internet looking for a suitable paddle and decided upon a tame start in the local canal - The Grand Union Canal - Leicester Branch. A grand title too isn't it and deservedly so - with competition from the railways having taken a large share of traffic in the second half of the 19th century, improvements in roads and vehicle technology in the early part of the 20th century meant that the lorry was also becoming a threat to the canals. Tolls had been reduced to compete with the railways, but there was little scope for further reduction. The Regent's Canal and the Grand Junction Canal agreed that amalgamation and modernisation were the only way to remain competitive. The (present) Grand Union Canal came into being on 1 January 1929, extended in 1932. And let me tell you, it is beautiful. Well the 9 miles I paddled on a lovely still, sunny day last Friday certainly was. Take a look at some of the photos....







I launched from Bridge 38 (I think it was 38 although it could have been 37....doh!!). Anyway, I parked on South Kilworth Road between the villages of South Kilworth and Welford - there's room to park about 4 or 5 vehicles there right by the bridge and then its only a 20 yard walk to the canal-side.

It took me a good 10 minutes to get into the boat once I'd lowered it into the canal - I'd literally forgotten how to get in and out of a kayak - but once I'd got the hang of it it was okay and I practiced getting in and out a few times (if anyone had been watching they would have probably thought, 'Jeeze...I wish he'd make his mind up - is he going for a paddle or not?')

Anyway, getting into the kayak........I positioned the boat lengthways against the canal wall - if you look at the above photo, I literally dropped the boat in right there - sat beside the kayak, placed my paddle at 90 degrees to the boat and draped it across the stern deck and rested the other end on the canal-side. I then used the paddle to steady myself as I stepped into the boat and then flung myself into the seat. The first attempt saw the boat rock violently from side to side, almost dumping me into the drink before it prematurely, and surprisingly quickly actually, set sail, sideways, and hit the bridge arch on the other side. I'm now sat, puffing and blowing, in a worryingly rocking kayak on the opposite side of the bank to where my paddle is still lying. I looked quickly around, just to make sure there were no boat owners or canal walkers now doubled up in fits of hysterics as this fat loon attempts to not climb into a kayak, but put it on! Thankfully, I was safe - no one around, so I got my breath back and then hung over the bow of the kayak like a gorilla and used my hands to paddle my way back to the correct side of the canal where my paddle waited patiently. A few more go's and I think I'd mastered it! I put the spray deck on - I'd forgotten to say that I had already put this on before carrying the kayak to the water's edge - it was a synch compared to getting in the boat - and off I went. It was a doddle once I got the hang of it and I spent the next 3 and a half hours paddling approximately 9 miles. I headed north from the bridge and continued to a fork in the canal (I took the left fork) and continued until I reached Husband's Bosworth Tunnel where I turned round and paddled back taking in the right hand fork for a couple of miles before heading back to my start point. It was brilliant and a memorable maiden voyage for me and the Drama Queen.

I'm going back there this coming Saturday, although my plan is to head south from Bridge 38 (I'm sure it was 38...........or was it 37?). I'll keep you posted.
Russ

3 comments:

  1. How will I sleep without knowing what bridge number it was? Oh I know, I can read your blog! :-D

    Im only joking my little friend, it's a great post you've done there. The blogs looking really good, although im sure the webmaster deserves a mention there :-)

    In a coracle shell, the blog is great :-D well done mate.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have been a fly on the bridge (38 or 37!!) seeing you trying to get in and out of 'The Drama Queen'!!!! - oooh perhaps I should have phrased that differently!!!

    Bit picky but can you set sail in a kayak????

    Looking forward to the next instalment.

    Happy paddling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - you're absolutely right - not the right term. Not sure what the right term is though????

    ReplyDelete